Notes from New Sodom

... rantings, ravings and ramblings of strange fiction writer, THE.... Sodomite Hal Duncan!!

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Saving Icarus

Over at Lethe Press, Steve Berman is finding it difficult to justify keeping Icarus going:

So, after reviewing Lethe Press's P & L statement, I noticed that I lost around four thousand dollars last year on Icarus, the Magazine of Gay Speculative Fiction. Now, I never expected to make a bundle or even a profit. My goal was to provide a venue for stories that some markets might consider "too gay" or "too odd." Also to spread awareness of gay fantasy, science-fiction and horror. But I did not want to lose so much.

Given the number of stories I've been proud to have published in that wee gem of a magazine, if you're reading this as someone interested in my fiction, it's probably in your own best interest to go see what he has to say. Cause, yeah, a good proportion of my work has found a home there, often stories I've looked at and thought, "hmmm, now where the fuck would this fit?" So I'd be gutted to see Icarus go. One of the things I love about it is that while narrowing the criteria in one respect by the addition of gay, I'd say the "speculative" part of it is broadened out to one of the most inclusive approaches to the strange fiction genres that I've seen in a mag. I've said it before and I'll say it again: no matter your sexuality, if you like good strange fiction, you'll find a lot to like in Icarus.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous ubik said...

would be a shame if it went out of business. I own most issues, and I think I'll set up a subscription too

10:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home