Notes from New Sodom

... rantings, ravings and ramblings of strange fiction writer, THE.... Sodomite Hal Duncan!!

Saturday, November 18, 2006

The Ballads of the Book

In other music-related news, I just got an MP3 through of a mix of "If You Love Me (You'd Destroy Me)" the collaboration between meself and Aereogramme, for the album, The Ballads of the Book, due out in February, next year from Chemikal Underground. I can't even begin to tell you how cool this sounds; all I can say is, really, honestly, they've taken my lyrics and made a sodding fantastic song out of them. In case ye missed my blathering about this album thing previously, it's a project originally set up by Roddy Woomble of Idlewild, following a collaboration with Edwin Morgan. The idea was to bring together Scottish writers and Scottish bands and see what they came up with. The result looks really fucking exciting.

In terms of authors other than meself, as I understand, there's Allan Bissett, John Burnside, Bill Duncan, Michel Faber, Alasdair Gray, Rodge Glass, Roddy Gorman, Laura Hird, AL Kennedy, Edwin Morgan, Ian Rankin, Robin Roberston, Ali Smith and Louise Welsh.

As for the bands / musicians, other than Aereogramme, ye've got Norman Blake (Teenage Fanclub), Vashti Bunyan, deRosa, Foxface, Mike Heron (Incredible String Band), Idlewild, King Creosote, Malcolm Middleton, Aidan Moffat, Emma Pollock, Karine Polwart, Alasdair Roberts, Sons and Daughters, Strike the Colours, Alun Woodward (The Delgados) and James Yorkston.

So... fucking cool, huh?

I may have missed some out, as I don't have an official track listing yet, but, don't worry, I'm sure I'll be ranting more about this nearer the time.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gigi said...

Hi Hal,

Can't wait to hear it!

Sometime during the blur that was BarCon - er, WFC - I told you about the Tartan Podcast. The site is (surprisingly, really) http://www.tartanpodcast.co.uk/.

Tons of great stuff there, and it's produced right there in Glasgow.

5:46 am  
Blogger paul f cockburn said...

Some day, they're going to say - that Hal Duncan with the silent H... he had fingers in so many pies.

Just as long as it's only fingers, I say.

Congrats, etc. Oh, and can I have a listen at some point? Pretty Please with big wide dewy eyes?

5:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home